Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Lectora and CourseMill Forums

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio Buttons

Thanks

Default Radio Buttons

I am working on a course that has already been created in Lectora, and am adapting it so that it will be 508 compliant.

The course contains quizzes that operate via radio buttons.

The screen reader reads the radio buttons just fine, however selecting them via the TAB button is a bit of a challenge.

Using IE8, when tabbing through the pages links, it arrives at the cluster of radio buttons, and selects the first one. Then, after pressing Tab again, you'd think that it would move to the next radio button, but instead it skips the rest of the radio buttons and moves to the next link after them in the cycle.

After you've skipped the radio buttons, you can try to go back by using Shift+Tab. Doing this stops at the last radio button, then pressing Shirt+Tab again skips the rest of the radio buttons again, and moves onto the next link in the cycle, rather than the next radio button.

Selecting the radio buttons seems to be another hurdle. Apparently once you've tabbed to the radio button that you want to select, pressing Enter does nothing. If you press the Up Arrow, it will Click the radio button above it and bring you to the designated page. If you press the down arrow, it will click the radio button below the one that you've selected and bring you to that designated page.

Has anyone had any luck implementing these properly, in a 508 compliant way, so that they are accessible through keyboard functions? I'd hate to spend the time re-doing the whole course to use links rather than radio buttons if there is a better way.

Thanks!

Thanks

I cannot speak on 508 compliance, so hopefully I'm not just blowing smoke.

But, what you describe is consistent with my observations with web pages. I have a form (not Lectora-related) that contains several banks of radio buttons. When I enter information, I usually navigate by pressing Tab to move to the next group of radio buttons and then either press the spacebar (if I want to select the first option) or the down arrow (if I need to select one of the other options). I don't see Tab moving to the next button in general.

How does 508 compliance normally handle radio buttons? I would think that if Tab always selected the next radio button, then the learner would never be able to select any option other than the last one.

But I admit I may be missing something, since I'm not that familiar with this topic.

Kevin

Thanks

Kevin's right - this is typically how browsers handle navigation within a web form. Once you have a radio group selected, you need to use the arrow keys to move from radio button to radio button, using the space bar to select.

I can't speak as to how 508 compliance interacts with this at all.

Thanks

Hi folks, I am using Inspire and have created radio button based questions. the buttons work in all browsers except Google Chrome. Does anyone out there have a clue to fixing this?

Thanks in advance

Ben Pitman aka Dr Lectora
    Thanks

Could you be more specific beyond "it doesn't work".

Which radio button options have you tried in Preferences?

Thanks

Default Re: Radio Buttons and Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by bbarthell View Post
    Hi folks, I am using Inspire and have created radio button based questions. the buttons work in all browsers except Google Chrome. Does anyone out there have a clue to fixing this?

Thanks in advance
    I'm having the same problem, even after changing the buttons to a different image via File > Preferences > Form Elements. It's not a deal-breaker for me as IE and Safari don't have the same issue, but we do have a growing handful of learners who use Chrome. Plus, it's just weird. Any ideas?